Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home4/thriceal/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 14
thrice all american: Another Waterfront Ballpark Option
Go to content Go to navigation Go to search

Another Waterfront Ballpark Option

· Posted Thursday April 3, 2008 by jamie

Seems architect David Boe has his own ideas about a downtown waterfront location for the Rainiers ballpark, as he mentioned over on my earlier post.

Using the New York San Francisco Giants ballpark as inspiration…

Boe immediately thought of the end of the peninsula on the east side of the Foss Waterway, where the infamous tank farm now sits:

Busting out his trusty sketchpad, we get this awesome rendering of what could be (click for larger):

I’ve gotta say, it would be awfully tempting to quit my job and become a water taxi pilot of something like this ever came to fruition.

Update: More discussion here.

post to: del.icio.us · digg · google · hugg · technorati

categories:

commenting closed for this article

Comments:

1. sweet baby elvis that’s cool.

RR Anderson    Apr 3, 01:01 PM    #
  2. Is that unidentified floating hotdog shaped object the Kalakala perchance?

RR Anderson    Apr 3, 01:12 PM    #
  3. RR@2: I can neither confirm or deny that thought, but it would be killer to have an adjacent brewery/restaurant on the Kalakala. Tailgating on the boat, etc., it would be quite the attraction on its own…

jamie    Apr 3, 01:15 PM    #
  4. I don’t want to quibble, but that is the San Francisco Giants park. The New York Giants play football.

Erik Hanberg    Apr 3, 01:39 PM    #
  5. Valid quibble. Seems like that would have occurred to me, but then again I spend very little time reading the sports page, so sometimes these things slip by… Corrected above!

jamie    Apr 3, 01:44 PM    #
  6. That said, I think it’s perfect. But we’d be showing up Safeco, so I don’t know that the owners would go for it.

Erik Hanberg    Apr 3, 01:47 PM    #
  7. Wow. I don’t even like baseball and I love the look of that! The tank farm’s pretty possessive of its property: see Crosswater Condos (or more accurately, don’t see CC). Keep ‘em coming, Mr. Boe!

NSHDscott    Apr 3, 03:01 PM    #
  8. And we can make it sustainable to go with its neighbor Urban Waters – maybe even get the President to throw out the first pitch…

— David Boe    Apr 3, 03:16 PM    #
  9. splash Homerun!

I almost thought that first photo was a mock-up that positioned the stadium in the biz. district near the Murray Morgan bridge with parking at the port … surreal and fantastical visions ran through my head. Thanks for the post! :)

tacomachickadee    Apr 3, 03:27 PM    #